The Colorado Division of Private Occupational Schools (DPOS) is attempting to impose oppressive and costly requirements on yoga teacher training schools (YTTs) in the state of Colorado. YTTs across Colorado have been contacted by DPOS requesting submission of information and payment of expensive fees. The current regulating body, a non-profit agency called the National Yoga Alliance, is advocating on the behalf of Colorado Yoga schools to the lawmakers, regulators and decision makers in this state.
We feel that the proposed DPOS regulation is not in the favor of Colorado Yoga Studios and Schools, nor is it supportive of local small businesses. In addition to the burdensome application process and unnecessary regulatory requirements, HYS opposes the DPOS involvement because yoga teacher training centers like our’s are already regulated by Yoga Alliance. Dual regulation in our opinion feels like a mis-use of energy and funds that could otherwise be appropriated toward our overall mission and community projects. The National Yoga Alliance has cited various additional reasons to oppose the DPOS requirements, and these can be found in their various press releases listed below.
One obvious immediate and long-term effect of this Regulation would include increased TTC rates. This does not fall in-line with our mission or goals to share yoga with everybody, everywhere. We wish to continue sharing our life-enhancing yoga programs in an affordable fashion, so that all people may have the opportunity to attend regardless of financial situation. Currently Holistic Yoga School is able to offer affordable TTC program prices, and our internal scholarship program provides significant discount to approximately 60% of participants who may not be able to attend the program otherwise.
Want ot help? If you oppose the regulation of YTTs:
Contact the Governor.Write your own letter or use our sample letterasking Governor Hickenlooper to oppose the DPOS effort. Simply print, sign (include your address), and send to 136 State Capitol, Denver, CO 80203. Or you can pick up a pre-addressed and stamped envelope and letter at the studio the next time you come in for class!
- Contact your State Senator and Representative. Enter your Address here to find the names of your local legislators and write them a letter to express your thoughts to the General Assembly. You can also utilize our sample letters for Representatives and Senators. Make sure to sign and send a copy to both your Senator and Representative. Letters to all members of the Assembly may be sent to 200 E. Colfax, Denver, CO 80203.
- Ask Others to Help. Encourage your friends, family, fellow yogis, and anyone else who supports the Colorado yoga community to send letters, too. Ask them to send copies to the Governor and their representatives. Simply put, please help us get as many letters out as possible.
- Get Loud on Social Media. Have a Facebook or Twitter account? Make sure to share and retweet Yoga Alliance’s messages opposing regulation in Colorado, and write your own too! Add the hashtag#ProtectColoradoYoga to your posts and build our community of supporters.
- Voice Your Concerns at the Next DPOS Meeting. The DPOS will host a public meeting on January 27th at 9:30am in Denver. Representatives from Holistic Yoga School will be attending this meeting and carpooling is available. If you would like to participate please let us know!
In addition to reaching out to you to request your help with the above items, we are looking to form a committee who can help with forming a team of Yoga Political Activists. Some of the specific tasks will include but not limited to:
- Help form a Fort Collins Yoga in Politics HUB here at HYS. The vision is to bring our voices together with the intention of loudly representing our FTC yoga community on this issue.
- Specific tasks involved:
- Coordinating bi-weekly or monthly community meetings at Holistic Yoga School to discuss and address the issues
- inviting the other yoga teacher training schools and studios in our area to get involved
- help with printing and distribution of the letter templates provided by Yoga Alliance
- making posters and flyers
- general sharing of information in various forms including on the street, via social media, etc.
- Specific tasks involved:
Please let us know if you’re interested in being a part of this movement!
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!